WELCOME TO Year 4
Dear Elephant Class Member and Family,
Welcome to Year 4. I am looking forward to an exciting and happy year ahead in your class. We have lots of great things to look forward to but I’m sure you have some questions which I will try to answer.
What topics will I be learning about?
We will be learning about Electricity, Recycling, Food, Water, Europe and much more.
Who will be working in my class?
I will be your teacher, Miss Briggs and Mrs Wood are our teaching assistants in Year 4 and Mrs Hartley teaches you on a Thursday morning.
What do need to bring to school and when?
• Please bring your reading book bag to school every day and we will change your books when you have completed them. You should be reading every day and there will be special rewards for children who do. Make sure you ask an adult to sign your reading diary to let us know when and how you have read.
• PE kits need to be worn to school on our PE days which are Monday and Friday each week until January and then it will be swimming on a Monday and P.E on Friday (if you wear earrings make sure you take them out for PE days and swimming days).
• Please bring a clearly named water bottle each day with fresh water in. Unfortunately, due to current circumstances you will not be able to refill your bottle at school.
• Make sure all your clothes are clearly named especially coats and jumper/cardigans as we cannot return lost property if it is not named.
• Make sure you have a suitable coat in school every day as we will have lessons and break time outside in all kinds of weather.
What do I need to do at home to help me learn?
This year things are a little bit different and I have had to join the 21st Century and try to do things digitally as much as possible so you will need to complete your homework each week online! You can find the information that you need on our class page on the website. You will find a homework grid made up with lots of different homework tasks which you need to complete. When you have completed a task you need to email it to
Jean-Louise.Entwistle@ashleigh.blackburn.sch.uk so that I can see it and then give you feedback on a Friday. Each half term there will be a new grid to complete over that half term. You will also get some spellings and times tables to practice for a test on a Monday but these will be sent home for you but do not need returning to school so I need to trust that you are completing those! You are growing up so it is more your responsibility to do your homework and be trusted that you are trying your best.
What day can I visit the library with my class?
Our class library time will be on a Thursday so remember to bring your library books back so that you can borrow another exciting book.
What else can I do?
As you know you have a Record of Achievement file in school which is to celebrate your achievements. It would be great if you have any out of school achievements to be included into this file. Things like swimming awards, Brownies/Cubs etc.
This can also go on our ‘Stars of the Show’ wall.
If your parents ever want to talk to me tell them they can. They can telephone me or email me on the email address which you send your homework on.
I am looking forward to this year and wish you a successful and happy year in Year 4.
Let’s work together to make this the best year ever!